Plants and Magical Herbs
1. Craft – Sun Prints: sun-sensitive paper art
2. Key Points – Old Mandrake Game - herbs and what they're used for
3. Collaborative - Dichotomous Key - how scientists identify plant species
4. Writing - Anagrams - discover the flower anagrams
5. Math/Logic – Fibonacci Sequence - make a visual representation of the sequence
6. Character Connection – Random Acts of Kindness - play flower fairy
7. Big Activity - Cells - make edible cell models
8. Movement – Photosynthesis Relay Race - experience the process of photosynthesis while running!!
Quests to do at home:
Do some secret fairy service.
Make a chart that shows what everyone's favorite fruit is.
Herbology- Professor Sprout will teach you all about the magical properties of plants. Make an herb garden.
Discover local wild plants that are edible.
Experience more about the dichotomous key: http://www.nps.gov/grca/forteachers/upload/Natural%20History.pdf (scroll down)
In Minecraft, plants don't grow without light. In real life, plants need sunlight in order to grow. Using sunlight, a plant will use photosynthesis to make it's own food. Make a diagram to show how photosynthesis works.
Make the cell model out of various colors of construction paper.
What are your favorite plants? Are they actually edible?
Learn more about cells: https://youtu.be/VBz4_-jZyPo
Make a two-sided diorama. Take two pieces of paper (tagboard is preferable), fold them in half, then you glue one side of each paper together, forming a wall between the two other halves. It looks something like this: __/\__. This creates a two-sided diorama. On one side of the page you put a scene from the beginning of the book and on the other side a scene from later in the book. For example, the first scene could be Harry arriving at the Dursleys', the second could be Harry arriving at Hogwarts.
Make leaf prints.
Make a mandrake: http://offbeathome.com/diy-mandrake/
Paint with organic materials.
Make a diagram to show seed germination.
Paint tree cookies.
Explore more anagrams: http://www.educationworld.com/a_lesson/04/lp336-03b.shtml
Do some nature journaling: http://www.cnps.org/cnps/education/curriculum/
Write a biopoem: http://novelinks.org/uploads/Novels/HarryPotterAndTheChamberOfSecrets/Writing%20Strategy.pdf
Write your thoughts about this quote: “It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” - Rowling
Experience an interactive photosynthesis activity: